Thursday, September 26, 2013

Dye results...

Dye experiments were a success! Here they are:

Here they are in their dye baths. To the left (in the green bowl) is leftover onion skin dye. I wanted to see how much lighter it would be if I saved and reused it. In the middle (in the blue bowl) is a strawberry dye bath. And in the yellow bowl is arkansas grape juice. The photo on the right shows the arkansas grapes after straining the juice out. Nice, huh?!

So, the onion skin dye (on the left) was really just as vibrant as the first time I used it. So that's good because you have to eat a lot of onions to get enough skins to make a dye bath! So, now I know I will be able to use it several times before pitching it. The photo on the right shows the fabric dyed with strawberry juice. It's very subtle, but it's a really pretty pinkish, brown.

And the big success- the arkansas grape juice. I should have known this by looking at my husband's shirts after a day of crushing grapes! The pulp I used was taken straight from the top bin before they started the press. And you can see it produces a very rich, deep color. The cotton knit onesie really took the dye well. (It was actually an over dye over the failed results of the blueberry and beet dye). It was randomly bound and soaked in the dye bath overnight. The samples on the right are also the results of the grape dye. The top one was achieved by folding the fabric several times, then dropping about a cup full of dye right into the middle before binding it loosely with a rubber band. The bottom right shows a sample that was folded, bound with rubber bands and left in the dye bath overnight. I love it! Each one is different- the onesie more solid, dark blue and the others with patches of deep blue, but also brown and just a hint of green.
 All of these samples will become "something" very soon (probably pillows) and will be available in my Etsy shop along with the onesies.
In the meantime, I started over on the stitching, this time using a more subtle thread color. I like it much better. I haven't gotten much more done, but will be working on it tonight while I catch up on my Homeland episodes (love that show!).

And this is the latest free form crochet piece, felted in the washer and dryer. It's interesting to see how differently the various yarns take to the felting process. I still don't know what the heck I'm going to do with these- but I'll think of something. They are a lot of fun to make.

I'll leave you with a shot of my front porch- now my drying area for all of my experiments :)

Have a great evening!  Juli

No comments:

Post a Comment